Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hawaii: Kailua-Kona Day 2

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Early bird Ethan wake me up at 6:00am this morning!  He is still on Phoenix time.  I made a cup of hot tea and took him and Ryan out onto the lanai for awhile.  More vies of the tide pools and fish from our lanai.






We got ready and went to have the free breakfast buffet that the hotel offered.  It was actually really good!  Lots of choices of hot and cold items.  We ate a feast!  After breakfast we decided to walk over and go snorkeling near our hotel at  Kahalu'u Bay.   We all got in the water and swam out about 100 feet to see all the amazing coral and fish!  We saw Surgeon fish, butterfly fish, rainbow fish, and many others.  It was so beautiful to be surrounded by all the colorful fish!  I didn't take my camera though. 

After about 2 hours, we got some ice cream at the truck and got into our car to make the 30 minute drive to Hapuna Beach.  Along the road, we crossed many of these desolate areas of lava fields.  People have "grafittied" them by taking white rocks and writing sayings or names.  I think it looked really cool actually!





We arrived at Hapuna Beach Park around 2:00pm.  This beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world!  It is white, soft sand that goes out as far as you can walk.  There are no shells or coral- it is very soft on the feet.  The water is clear blue and slightly cool.  It is like being in a sandy, wavy swimming pool!





The kids and Chris had a blast playing in the water.  I dozed for a bit on the beach.


Around 4:00 we headed back to the hotel.  Along the way, the boys were BEGGING me to stop and let them leave their mark.  I finally caved in and here is their graffiti!




We showered up and headed to dinner at the Kona Brewing Company.  This is a local brewery that makes several types of beers.  They have a pub attached and that is where we ate.  




The pizza was amazing!  We had wonderful service and the food was great.  Chris tried 2 different beers- the IPA and the Hula Hefeweizen.  He thought both were really good.  We had a nice meal and Ethan was falling asleep at the table by 8:00pm.  : )  We headed back to the hotel in the rain and off to sleep.


1 comment:

  1. I like Chris and Ethan's t-shirts! I wore mine when I was on the big island, too. Of course, it was opening day of The Avengers so I made it a point to find a theatre. I wish we had gotten up early enough to go to the Kona Brewery too.

    ReplyDelete