Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Sterne Family Goes to Dinoland! Part 1- Arches National Park

Lately the boys have been fascinated with Dinosaurs.  Logan is a walking encyclopedia and can spout off facts about all types of these extinct creatures.  Ryan is equally enthralled!   I have also been on a National Park kick lately...gotta get a stamp in my Passport Book!  We decided to explore our love of dinosaurs and National Parks by taking a very long, very quick trip to Dinosaur National Monument in Northeast Utah.  We added in a stop at Arches National Park along the way!

Dinoland is a 12 hour drive from Phoenix, so we decided to leave at 3:00am and get some good miles in before the kids were up for the day.  We had done this before when we went to Cayucos and it worked out really well.  I went to bed around 7:00pm and Chris stayed up finishing packing things up.  I got up at 3:00 and got ready, then we loaded sleepy boys into the van and they all went back to sleep as I drove and listened to my iPod!  I really LOVE driving on road trips.  I am not sure why but I really do love it!

This is the early morning sunrise that greeted us near Flagstaff:


As we drove along the boys woke up and we talked and they played their iPods.  We came through Monument Valley.  I have never been up this way and I was just in awe at how beautiful it was!  I couldn't believe the amazing rock formations and colors!  It was just gorgeous!  I stopped like 3 times to take pictures as Chris slept on! 










We arrived in Moab around 12:00 and entered Arches National Park.   We stopped and ate a picnic lunch and then hiked around a bit. 





The Three Gossips

Organ Rock


Couthouse Towers (I think)


Tower of Babel



Balanced Rock








Petrified Sand Dunes

















It was hot but we had a great time seeing these amazing rock formations!  We only got to see a small portion of Arches and decided we would definitely love to come back at a cooler time of year and explore the park some more.

We continued our drive for a few more hours cutting through some beautiful mountain passes into Colorado and back into Utah.  Our GPS had us bypassing any major cities and we ended up not being able to find anywhere to eat dinner!  We ended up eating frozen burritos and Hot Pockets from a gas station! : )

Some deer we saw as we went through the mountains in Colorado

We finally arrived at our hotel in Vernal, Utah around 10pm and went straight to bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment