Saturday, October 13, 2012

A New Office Space.....Making a Craft Cabinet!

We spent the whole summer and well into the fall working on redoing our house a bit.  We are trying to make the front room into an organized, neat office.  I poured over ideas on pinterest and came up with a general plan for the desk.  I also decided I needed to have some good storage to keep everything out of sight.  We didn't really want to spend alot, so we decided to redo what we already had.

We have this old wardrobe/drafitng cabinet that Chris's parents gave us years ago.  It was pretty beat up and full to bursting with STUFF that I have been shoving in it for the last 9 years!  I decided to give it a make over and get it organized!  I worked on this at the same time as the Lego table so it seemed to take forever to finish it.

First we started by emptying it out, wiping it down and removing the old hardware.  Next we did a quick sand with a power sander to rough it up.




I painted it with 2 coats of Zinser primer sanding in between each coat.  Chris added some crown molding to the top to change the look of the cabinet.




Next came 2 coats of paint- same as we used on the Lego table.  Then 3 coats of clear polycrilic finish with a light sanding in between each coat.


The finished project!  It turned out beautifully!  It looks like a completely different piece of furniture.



I spent hours and hours going through all my pictures, scrapbooking stuff, sewing stuff, and other junk in this massive cabinet.  I purchased some storage boxes and labeled everything well to try and keep it as organized as it is now!  I love looking inside and seeing all those fun labels!  It makes me so happy!




We still have a desk to build and some decorating to do, but we are well on our way to a new office!




No comments:

Post a Comment